Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Island Life

Wow! I cannot believe I'm going to be spending the next three months living on an island! It's pretty amazing! I never had a childhood dream to go to the Galapagos like many of the students I'm with BUT I've always wanted to live near the ocean!!!

I live in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno (bottom left corner - that red square) which is actually the capital of the islands!

On a bigger scale! San Cristobal was actually the first place Darwin stopped when he came to visit. Also, FYI, the Galapagos are about 550mi west of Ecuador and the equator runs through the top of Isla Isabela.  

I live right in the center of the town and just a block and a half from the ocean! It's pretty amazing. My host family is an older couple - Luisa is my Mom and I can't quite remember my Dad's name yet. Her daughter is also hosting a fellow student in another house. We live above a little shop on the second story. I have my own room, dresser, and table and there is a bathroom across the hall. There is a second bathroom in another area of the house where I can sometimes get hot water (or at least not freezing) water. Water goes out here quite often so you're never guaranteed a shower.

The beach across the street from campus!

The house is very different from the one in Quito (everything here is pretty different!) but I think it will still be good. My host family speaks only Spanish - other then accidental English words that I say there is no English spoken. There is a little more of an accent here and a slight 'slurring' of the words which makes it a bit harder for me to understand even the phrases I already know.



My rooftop (left) which is the fourth floor and the view (right) at dusk

Campus is pretty awesome! I'm here using internet now looking out to a great view of the ocean. We actually eat breakfast here three days a week (M, W, F) and, as a group of 45 international students, we eat dinner together on T, TH, Sat, and Sun. This is to lessen the cost for our host families. Dinner is usually at a restaurant where they have a set menu for us and breakfast is buffet style. Lunch is on our own. The campus is just two buildings and is right across the street from the beach (awesome!). 45 is by far the highest number of gringos that has ever come to study on the island (and everyone knows we are here). 

 View of the campus from the beach




























Foot washing station (one of two) on campus so we don't drag sand inside!

The wildlife here is already abundant even in town! I can't even think what animal I'd compare the sea lions to. I see 60+ of them everyday. On my walk to school (which takes just 15min) I cut through a beach where many of them sleep. It's like playing a game trying not to trip over them! They are very relaxed to. They come right up to and unless it's a big male or a female with babies they are really unconcerned.

Mama and baby sea lions sleeping - I was standing about 2-3 ft away

People here are also generally more friendly. There are only 5,500 ppl on the island (or so) and the island is about 30mi by 10mi so everyone knows everyone. I get lots more "hola" and "buenos dias" that seem genuine here which is nice. I even went running yesterday morning and felt so much more safe.



Jac and I on day 2 exploring the town

I've been snorkeling and swimming a couple times and while the water is cool it's definitely warmer then the Oregon coast. I saw SO many fish, shells, and little crabs. No rays yet but I have friends that have seen them! So exciting!


I walk along this beach on my way to school!

I'll start my volunteer placement this week (I think I'm going to be working with GAIAS helping with outreach to the community!) and classes in early Oct. I still have work from my summer classes to finish, as well as a midterm from my class in Quito, so I definitely have plenty to do!

The sea lions are literally everywhere!! 

Overall, I love it here so far!!! Lots more to come later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment