Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Some thoughts about Ecuador

So I've been here over a week and I thought I'd share my top 5 general impressions I've had so far. This post has lots of words but I would have loved to have read something like this before I went so, here goes:

1) The weather -- it's so true that Quito goes through multiple seasons in one day. Even though it's only 68-70 if the sun is out it's hot in jeans and a short sleeve shirt. But in the afternoon, if it rains, the temperature drops so fast and you need a hoodie and raincoat. Layers are key! For example, the two pictures below were taken about 3 hours apart today (the locations are 2min from each other - both on campus):


       About 11am                                                                           About 2pm just before the thunderstorm

This is completely typical for a day.

2) Sense of time -- It's true that time is different here. Classes are apparently on time (US time) but in general everything else is more like "island time". I'm good at this - I know how to be late :) For example, if a party is at 8pm, don't show up until at least 9:30pm or you'll be the only one there! A new meaning to fashionably late. This is also because interruptions are normal. I'm really good at this too :) No problem fitting in there!

3) Sense of family -- Family is very important. On Sunday I went to a big family bbq which was fun and interesting. I learned a lot as I met over 25 family members on my host Dad's side. Every time someone comes the whole family gets up and greets the person near the door. Women & women and women & men kiss on the check, men & men shake or do that macho back slapping hug. This means there is quite a bit of kissing and hugging - even if you don't know the person! It's also very rude not greet people in general -- so if you're home and someone comes home you are expected to say hello and talk to them for a bit (not all that crazy). Every time you go into a room you are suppose to greet everyone in the room too (more formal then the US). Kids live with their parents through college, in general, and family, in general, lives near each other. Most of the families I've met are also a bit bigger then in the US.

4) Altitude -- It's high here for sure. Maybe someone from Colorado wouldn't notice but for me, especially coming from Portland, being at over 9,000ft is very different. My skin, lips, and eyes are super dry. I bought a very large thing of lotion today to help that. I can also feel it when I walk fast or climb a lot of stairs (or try to talk fast while walking but that only happens if I speak English!).

5) Food -- Oh I already know I'm going to miss the fruit here when I leave. I've already tried at least three new fruits already. I've had papaya for breakfast a lot and fruit juice every morning (mixed with milk, actually). The granola and granola bars also have HUGE chunks of fruit. It's both hard and easy to be pescatarian/vegetarian. At home/on campus it's pretty easy (gluten free is easier too since there is a lot of rice options). But in restaurants in the city it's much harder. Lots of chicken, pork, tongue of _____, etc. Even some 'vegetarian' options are actually cooked in chicken broth and might even have chunks of chicken in them. You just have to learn where to go. Also, it's typical to eat dinner between 8-10pm. Tonight it was 9:45pm, last night it was 10:30pm, the night before 9:15pm. It's really supper. "Dinner" is more lunch which is good to remember. Trail mix and beef jerky are also foreign concepts here (my host brother loved both of these things when he was in the US).

Anyway- just some initial impressions and thoughts! Not trying to compare - just noticing :) I'm still in the honeymoon stage I'm sure so everything is still great. (Even my "frustration" with speaking Spanish is at a minimum, especially now with my host brother who is fluent in English.).

I mess up every single day, several times a day. I say things wrong, I do things wrong, I get confused, I act very high context (this is definitely a low context society - ie: minimal explanation, lots of assumptions, etc), I get lost, I act typical 'gringa', etc. It's good for me :) Hopefully I don't do anything too insulting as I learn!

2 comments: