Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Top 10 List

Since I finally finished one of my three papers I had left over from the summer I decided that I could 1) Treat myself to an amazing chocolate donut (yum!) and 2) Update my blog!

I've made it a goal to not dwell on differences between the US and Ecuador. I know that doing so can cause homesickness and trouble adjusting. However, on my way to school this morning I couldn't help but think of some differences that people living in the States (or elsewhere) might not realize. So, without further ado:

The Top Ten Ways San Cristobal Island, Ecuador is Different Than Living in Portland, OR, USA:

#10: The main language is Spanish (I know, it's an obvious one). In Quito I'd say about 30% of people I talked to spoke some English. I think that's about the same here but that 30% is almost entirely connected with tourist shop owners (and their English tends to be more limited). Therefore, this is a huge part of my life here and becomes a big deal when trying to make simple conversation.

For example: Today my host Mom asked me if I wanted fruit with breakfast. I already had cereal, toast, eggs, coffee, and fresh juice so I had to say no. I then tried to say that I really like fruit and I'd love to have some on Thursday (the next day I have breakfast at home). However, instead of saying "Thursday" (jueves) I accidentally said "egg" (huevo) making my sentence "I really like fruit. Please I want some on eggs". This lead to lots of confusion.... I think know she might think I want my egg and fruit mixed. This could make for an interesting meal on Thursday :-P


#9: Wearing flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts to work is completely acceptable. This is true if you're working at a restaurant, at the University, at a shop...etc. In fact, I can't really think of anywhere where this would not be acceptable! Some nicer hostels (or nightclubs) might have their employees wear a company tshirt or have girls wear a skirt but it's still very informal.

#8: I celebrated October by going swimming in the ocean (instead of begrudgingly dragging my rain pants of my closet where I just put them away a couple months ago).

#7: Don't expect to buy anything between 12:30-2 on a weekday or at all on Sundays. Really don't plan to buy anything between 12:30-2pm on Sunday! This includes groceries, touristy gifts, home goods from the crazy jam packed tiny general stores all around the island... etc. The only thing you can get is "almuerzo" (lunch special).

#6: Stepping in sea lion poop is a daily occurrence. It's worse than dog poop in the States - it's everywhere. I try not to think about how much I've stepped on/in both on the beach and on the street....

#5: The ocean is a 45sec walk from my house (instead of a 1:45min drive)

#4: Rice goes with EVERYTHING. No longer is rice a side with a meat or veggie dish or just part of a stir fry. It's included with EVERY dinner and most lunches. For example, the other day I had pasta with a side of white bread and a side of white rice. (Did I mention I expect to gain about 10lbs here?!).

#3: You say 'Hola' or 'Buenos dias/buenas tardes, noches' to everyone. Yes, I mean everyone. No, it doesn't matter that they are eating dinner, that you don't know them, that they are on the phone, or that they are in the middle of working intently. Every time time you enter you a room is it polite to greet every single person. You also greet on the street, at nicer restaurants (even if you don't know the person), and just about everywhere else.

#2: Familias estan muy importante! Family here is very important. It's not unusual to have multiple generations living in a house. It's common for kids to stay with their parents until they are in the 20s (far more so then in the States). Older parents generally live with their kids (there are far fewer nursing homes) and extended families get together often for parties or family time. Additionally, the idea of godparents (or "companeros") is much more important. Godparents provide financial and emotional support to their godchildren. They really become part of the family and can be closer than a sister or a brother to the godchild or the godchild's parents.

#1: The toilet flushes the other way. No, just kidding :) The Coriolis effect isn't THAT strong!! But the plumbing here is old..... really old. This brings about two differences: 1) Water. You can't drink water out of the tap. Water filtration here is poor (at best) so bottled water, filtered water, or boiled water is a necessity. 2) The bathroom. Toilet paper goes in the trash no exceptions. The plumbing here just can't handle it. In some places it's 40+ years old.....

There are of course many many similarities also but that's for another post!! That's all for now :)

Sea lion chillin on someone's front porch.... a risk you take when you live just off the beach :) 

1 comment:

  1. how morocco compares to this list (please forgive my typos im wirking with an azerty french keyboard here not a qwerty one meh)

    10)the main language here is moroccan arabic or dirija- though a lot of people especially in fes speak fantaztic french or english- a blessing and a curse i believe.

    9)wearing shorts and tanktops are totally not acceptable. most women have themselves pretty well covered- head scarves long sleeved garments called jlabas. it varies on hoz covered a woman is on age and family etc but i have not seen a single woman in shorts except in a place that is shuma (shame) guys wear mostly manpris (capris for men)

    8) its still between 80-90 degrees here still happy october!!!

    7) not as drastic but things definitely quiet down at the hottest parts of the day (2:30-5ish) but more friday then sunday is the quiet day (its the big day at the mosques)

    6)seeing trash everywhere (mostly food scraps from the markets) is everywhere and it is burned often

    5)the ocean is not that close but i am close to the oldest leather tannery in africa

    4)BREAD goes with everything. its used in lieu of utensils and my host father said its not a meal if theres no bread.we use bread to scoop up potatoes pasta meat veggies you name it bread is the answer

    3)its not really kosher for women to talk to men as far as i can tell if youre strangers on the street but ive definitely said hello to some people just because thats who i am. more common is random guys saying hello or bonjour or are you french. you just have to ignore them

    2)htta ana (me too! me being morocco) family is huge here. most people have bigger families more then 2 and they live at home until theyre married which is also important. most major celebrations revolve around family events- naming ceremonies marriages and funerals

    1) no opposite toilets but most people have turkish toilets (known as squatty potties) and not western toilets. in fes a western toilet is more common and morocco is fortunate enough to have very safe drinking water. i think i use way more toilet paper then the average moroccan does though.

    i dont have a picture but donkeys and horses are very common to see even in a city of a million people. that was fun!

    ps i miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete